Too XYZ (Archives): Why Introverts Hate Small Talk


I Hate Talking!
Don't feel like you are alone if you hate the mundane chatter of those around you. Below is a link to a great article which analyzes why introverts hate small talk:


Too XYZ (Archives): Why Introverts Hate Small Talk


Comment from Punkgirl:


This is an excellent article! I absolutely despise small talk, especially with people who have verbal diarrhea. I work with a girl who talks incessantly. Until she was hired a few months ago, it was a blissful, quiet office. The girl who sits in front of me is quitting, and the chatterbox is threatening to move to the desk right next to me.  I am terrified! Never again will I enjoy a day of peace, without mundane discussions about what this girl ate for dinner, or that she thinks our boss’s pink scarf is ugly…blasé things of that nature. Her jibber-jabber absolutely numbs my brain. Even when I have my headphones in, she continues to yap – and then stares at me, awaiting a response. By the end of the day, I am exhausted and drained.

The odd part is, even though I am quite introverted at work, I am very social around my friends, or in lively settings. I believe this is the difference: When people just talk for the sake of talking about nonsense (like at work) I can’t stand it. But in a social setting (say at a baseball game or concert) people conversing usually have a shared topic of interest. It’s fun to talk when the conversation is going somewhere, and people are exchanging ideas. It’s NOT fun to talk when someone is talking “at” you about endless boring topics. **Sigh** If only extroverts could learn to speak only when they have something of value to say!

Comments

Popular Posts