Why do People Who Work in Offices Have a Big Ego & Think So Highly of Themselves?


It has been bothering me lately that people who do office work think way too highly of themselves. Now before you go shooting me down, I work in an office. No, I do not walk around acting like I own the world. But, several co-workers do just that. They are judgemental bitches, who can’t wait for the latest scrap of dirt on another employee. They literally prance around with their noses in the air, acting like celebrities.
You do office work.
Fucking stop it.

 
 
When people call, the office girls are rude and condescending. When customers have a special request, they act like accommodating said request will come out of their own pockets. As soon as the call is disconnected, they whine to each other about petty things like the caller’s accent, or lack of perfect grammar.

 
Office work is not rocket science. A trained monkey could do most of it, especially if he could talk on the phone. I can think of plenty of jobs where people actually deserve to have an inflated ego, like doctors, military, musicians, an ACTUAL rocket scientist - people who do difficult work that benefits or enlightens the community, and is for the greater good of humanity. Being an office employee does not count. Guess what we do. We fill out basic paperwork. We do a bit of typing/data entry. We talk to people on the phone. We (I) occasionally design brochures for the company. On what planet does any of this warrant an inflated ego??

 
Personally, I got into this job because 1) It’s insanely easy 2) I can surf the internet all day 3) I can focus on my other hobbies while at work and get paid for it.  Seriously, the amount of work I do in 1 week could really be squashed down to 1 or 2 days. So I complete most of my tasks on a Wednesday and/or Thursday, and consider the rest of my days paid free time.  I use it to focus on blogging & my home business, which actually make me more money than the office job.  The key is, I don’t slack off when there is actual work to be done. I do it well, and I do it right. I also am very patient with customers and often need to clean up the mess a neglectful employee has left behind.  But, I don’t think I am an entitled super-awesome person because I sit in an office all day.

 












Another thing that annoys me – people in the office think they are somehow better than those who work in the warehouse. What?? The warehouse employees do 10 times more work, bust their butts all day, and often do so in extreme hot or cold conditions. Yet they get paid less, and are not treated with respect by the office workers. Worse yet, the office managers look down upon us office girls if we hang out with the warehouse workers. The world makes no sense. (And yes, by the way, I actually had a boss who wouldput her feet up on her desk and file her nails. This is the same boss who insisted that nobody take more than 3 minutes per bathroom trip.)

 

Then there’s the issue of parking spaces. We have a huge parking lot with more than enough spaces in the front (for office) and side (for warehouse).  In the front, Managers get the first 5 spots, which is fine. The spaces do not have names on them, so it is first-come-first-served. One particularly egotistical girl who works in our customer service department somehow thinks she is above this. She complained about having to park all the way at the end, because sometimes she is the last one to get here. She also complained that a girl from the warehouse isn’t worthy of parking in the front of the building. So little miss “I’m better than everyone” has just started parking in the manager row, and nobody has said anything. WTF??? Why does this special snowflake think she is entitled to park closer to the door than anyone else?  And why don’t the managers care? I’m waiting and praying for the shit to hit the fan with this little be-otch.

 
So how do I survive in a work-place that stinks from the rot of office politics and an overload of Chanel No 5? I keep my ears and eyes open, do my work, keep quiet, and only trust 2 other people who work in the building. I am not one for small talk, so while the big-headed ego maniacs yammer away, I plug in my headphones and rock out in my head…dreaming of a world where office workers don’t act like they rule the world. 

Or…I dream of a zombie apocalypse. Yeah…sometimes that too :)

Comments

Popular Posts